Ankan Basu, P.G., CPG, SME Registered Member
Resource Geologist (coal)/ Hydrogeologist, P.G.
- Bluefield, Virginia (Johnson City, Tennessee Area)
- Mining & Metals
+10 Years of post baccalaureate experience; ASBOG qualified Professional Geologist (PG); OSHA 40 Hr; MSHA Trained;
Qualified Person – Coal resource /JORC/US SEC
Software Skills: SurvCAD (Carlson); PHREEQC; Geochemist’s Workbench; MODFLOW
Certified Professional Geologist (CPG), Certificate No# 2801001899, State of Virginia
Registered Professional Geologist (RPG), Certificate No# 5745, State of Tennessee
Licensed Professional Geologist (LPG), Certificate No# pending, State of Kentucky
Certified Professional Geologist (CPG, AIPG); Certificate No# CPG-11576
Mr. Basu is a Certified Professional Geologist with over 7 years’ professional experience in resource and mining geology, hydrogeology, geochemistry, environmental issues, and engineering applications and another 6 years of experience in geochemistry/hydrogeology research. At Cardno MM&A, he works at the “Special Services” division dealing with complex geological and hydrogeological investigations. He has authored a number of journal articles on geochemistry issues. He has also coauthored numerous professional reports to clients.
A major part of his work has involved geological and groundwater investigations in association with mining activities. Such studies include assessments of probable hydrologic consequences (PHC) of mining, determination of existing and baseline hydrogeologic conditions, evaluation of hydrogeologic and geotechnical conditions and their potential impact on mining activities, and investigations of water quality and/or quantity impacts resulting from past mining.
Additionally, Mr. Basu has also conducted numerous mineral resource and reserve studies and prepared reports as per JORC, CIM and US SEC standards. He has supervised numerous drilling explorations for coal; planned collection of samples for geotech studies; logged cores; prepared digital database and 3-D geologic model.
Mr. Basu also completed multiple projects involving complex geochemical modeling using USGS software PHREEQC and Geochemist’s Workbench.
Key skills and consulting services
Coal and Mineral explorations
- Exploration and economic assessment of natural mineral deposits, field supervision of drilling; field mapping, geologic /geotechnical and fracture (RQD) logging of core, sampling for geochemical and strength tests.
- Preparation of geologic model; isopach mapping; structure, fault and lineaments delineation; database preparation of geologic logs; preparation of 3D geologic model for mineral reserve and resources in CARLSON Geology/Model; prepare geologic reports.
- Resource / reserve estimation using CIM standards (Canadian Standard); JORC resource / reserve evaluation; Resource / reserve evaluation as per USGS Circular 981 and the United States Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC) in Industry Guide 7.
- Site geologic characterization, analyze and interpret maps, aerial photographs, and cross sections, data compilation, analysis and presentation
- Interpretation of wire-line geophysical logs; thousands of linear feet of geophysical logs interpreted within the Appalachian coal field.
- Mine hazard evaluation; roof and floor mapping.
- Borescope data acquisition and analysis
- Sampling and analysis of Coal Bed Methane.
- Hydrogeologic field testing (Packer test, Pump test); interpretation of field data;
- derivation hydrologic parameters using AQTESOLV software.
- Monitoring well installation; water sampling and water user inventory data collection, well abandonment.
- Mine inflow prediction based on field conductivity data; evaluate mine dewatering requirements;
- Seepage through barrier estimation; inflow to slope and shaft determination.
- Stream-flow measurement and evaluation of data.
- Hydrologic balance assessment associated with mining activities.
- Underground Injection Control (UIC) permits preparation
- Flume installation and data collection.
- Preparation of analytic (AnAqSim) and numerical model (Visual MODFLOW, PMwin) model for site characterization.
- Evaluation of water quality data;
- QA/QC.Collection of geochemical samples as per industry regulations, analysis of chemical data.
- Acid Base Account (ABA) and Se sampling and data analysis for all coal related projects.
- Soil sampling and strength tests especially for slope and shaft development projects.
- RCRA metal remediation; bioremediation.
- Knowledge of XRD, Alpha Spectrometer and other laboratory methods such as leach test, sequential extraction methods etc.
- Performed environmental site assessment and investigations on natural contaminants.
- Supervised monitoring well installations and abandonment.Conducted sampling in compliance with environmental permits issued by various Federal, State and local regulatory agencies.
- Performed statistical data analysis and prepared annual reports.
- Prepared potentiometric maps·Prepared Eh-pH diagrams and performed speciation calculations using PHREEQC and Geochemist’s Workbench
- Registered Professional Geologist, Certificate No# 2801001899, State of Virginia
- Registered Professional Geologist, Certificate No#5745, State of Tennessee
- Registered Professional Geologist, Certificate No# –, State of Kentucky
- Alpha Spectrometry Training Certificate.
- Mine Safety and Health Administration Training.
- First Responder HAZ MAT Awareness Training.
- U.S. Department of Energy, Federal Energy Management Program; Energy 101 Training Session
Technology and Software
- Visual MODFLOW – 3D Hydrologic Modeling
- Carlson Mining / Geology – 3D Geologic Modeling
- Geochemist’s Workbench – Geochemical Modeling
- PHREEQC – Geochemical ModelingAQTESOLV
- Coal Data Management System (CDMS)
Education and Credentials
- Masters of Science – Hydrogeology;Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA, 2006
- Masters of Science – Geology; Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA, USA, 2004
- Masters of Science – Applied Geology; Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India, 2002
- Bachelor of Science, Earth Sciences; Minor: Chemistry, Mathematics; Jadavpur University, West Bengal, India, 2000
- The Geological Society of America
- Sigma Gamma Epsilon
2006-2012 Hydrogeologist / Project Geologist; CARDNO-MM&A (previously: Marshall Miller & Associates), Bluefield, Virginia.
Involved in various geologic, hydrogeologic, geotechnical investigations related to coal mining and exploration primarily in the Appalachian coalfields; Responsible for planning and supervision of coal exploration programs and property evaluations, with specific involvement with data collection and interpretation, correlation of coals in regional studies, and technical report writing and presentation. Responsible for geologic/geotechnical core logging; management of both rotary and core drill rigs; supervised multiple coal bed methane projects; Mr. Basu has also done several limestone reserve evaluation projects. Responsible for reserve/resource technical reports as per JORC, CIM and US SEC guide; prepared several 3D geologic models using SurvCADD (Carlson). Mr. Basu has used Geochemist’s Workbench, PHREEQC and other ground water modeling softwares to evaluate various ground water scenarios such as acid mine drainage, contaminant flow path delineation, special modeling; prepared several hydrologic models to calculate inflows into mine shafts and slopes; done slug and packer testing. Mr. Basu has also completed many landfill investigations and prepared annual reports.
2004-2006 Research Assistant, Department of Geology, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA,
Design and conduct experiments for sequential extraction of arsenic.
- Construct mineral structures using various spectroscopic and microscopic methods.
- Perform soil and water sampling; collect field water quality parameters.
2004-2006 Teaching Assistant, Department of Geology, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
- Taught one graduate level hydrogeology lab course.
2002-2004 Research Assistant, Department of Geology, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA
Perform K-Ar dating of clay minerals.
- Determine clay mineralogy using X-ray diffraction
2002-2004 Laboratory Instructor, Department of Geology, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA
- Taught laboratory sections for undergraduate introductory geology course.
- 2001 Perform analysis of Pb-210 in Aerosols using Alpha Spectrometry; Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad (Dept. of space science)
- 2000 Perform underground mapping and stratigraphic correlation at Uranium Corporation of India Ltd., Jadugoda, Jharkhand, India.
- University Gold Medal in Bachelors of Science (2000) from Jadavpur University, India.
- National Scholarship (2000) from Govt. of West Bengal, India.
- Basu, Ankan & Schreiber, M (2012): Arsenic release from arsenopyrite weathering: Insights from sequential extraction and microscopic studies; Journal of Hazardous Materials; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2012.12.027
- Basu, Ankan (2006):Assessment of Arsenic Mobility using Sequential Extraction and Microscopic Methods; Thesis submitted to Virginia Tech for Master of Science
- W. Crawford Elliott, Ankan Basu , J. Marion Wampler, R. Douglas Elmore and Georg H. Grathoff (2006);Comparison of K-Ar ages of diagenetic illite-smectite to the age of a chemical remanant magnetization (CRM): An example from the isle of Skye, Scotland, Clays and Clay Minerals; June 2006; v. 54; no. 3; p. 314-323; DOI: 10.1346/CCMN.2006.0540303.
- Blumstein, A. M., R. D. Elmore; M. H. Engel; C. Elliot; and A. Basu (2004);Paleomagnetic dating of burial diagenesis in Mississippian carbonates, Utah, J. Geophys. Res., 109, B04101, doi: 10.1029/2003JB002698.
- Basu, Ankan (2004):A Comparison of K-Ar Ages of Illite to the Age of Chemical Ramnant Magnetization; Thesis submitted to Georgia State University for Master of Science; 107p.
- Basu, Ankan (2002): Metamorphic History of Sausar Belt, India; Thesis submitted to Indian Institute of Technology for Master of Science.
- Basu A and Schreiber M; 2005. Geochemistry of arsenic in mine tailing deposits. Graduate Student Research Symposium.
- Basu A and Schreiber M; 2004. Spectroscopic and Microscopic analysis of arsenic contaminated sediments. Graduate Student Research Symposium.
- Basu A and Elliott C; 2003. Remagnetization and Clay diagenesis in Jurassic Sediments of Skye, Scotland, American Geological Union Fall Meeting CA.
Selected Mine Visits
- Justice #1 Mine, Revolution Portal, Coal River West, WV
- Gauley Eagle Property; Atlantic Leasco L.L.C; King Coal Corporation
- Pinnacle Oak Underground Coal Mine, WV
- Lexie Underground Coal Mine, KY
- Clas4 Underground Coal Mine, KY
- Toney Fork Surface Coal mine, WV
- Roadfork Mine # 51, Bituminous Coal Mine, Beckley, WV
- Jadugoda Uranium Mine, India
Continued Education and Seminars attended
- Water Balance Modeling for Alternative Water Balance (ET) Covers (ASCE Webinar), April 13, 2012.
- An Overview of Unsteady Flow Simulations Using HEC-RAS (ASCE Webinar), March 27, 2012.
- Mine Tailings: Enumeration and Remediation, Jan 11, 2012.
- The Marcellus Shale Lecture Series: Gary Marchiori on Production May 5th, 2011.
- The Marcellus Shale Lecture Series: John Martin on Energy and Environment; May 19, 2011.
- The Marcellus Shale Lecture Series: Rich Nayhay on Drilling and Fracking; April 28 2011.
- The Marcellus Shale Lecture Series: Greg Sovas on Permitting and Regulation; April 21 2011.
- Modeling and Evaluating Mine Drainage Treatment using Geochemist Workbench (Workshop); presented by Brent Means, U.S. Office of Surface Mining; June 6, 2010.
- Pumping test design and data collection; April 7, 2007.
- Evaluating, Optimizing, or Ending Post-Closure Care at Municipal Solid Waste Landfills Based on Site-Specific Data Evaluations; November 16, 2006
- Ground Water and Well Microbiology: Water Well Microbiology Issues; November 16, 2006.
Selected Certificates (click to enlarge):
Download Credentials for Ankan Basu
- Training Certificate – Ankan Basu -First Response Hazmat Awareness
- Training Cerficate – Alpha Spectrometry – Ankan Basu -2001
- Download P.G. (Professional Geologist) Certificate VA – Ankan Basu
- Download Certificate: OSHA-hazwoper 2012 Ankan Basu
- MS- IIT KGP TRANSCRIPT-2002 -Ankan Basu- side1 -APPLIED GEOLOGY
- MS -IIT KGP TRANSCRIPT-2000-Ankan Basu -side 2 -APPLIED GEOLOGY
- MS Degree Certificate – Applied Geology – IIT Kharagpur (India) – Ankan Basu
- Transcript – B.S – Geology – Jadavpur University 1997-2000 – Ankan Basu
- Certificate of University Medal – Jadavpur University – 2000 – Ankan Basu
- Degree Certificate – BS – Geological Sciences – Jadavpur University 2000 – Ankan Basu
- Degree Certificate Virginia Tech MS in Geology 2006
- Virginia Tech – MS Transcript – Ankan Basu
- Georgia State University – MS. Transcript – Ankan Basu
- Energy 101 Training Certificate
- SGE – Membership Certificate – Ankan Basu